> > The following is a non service example.
> >
> > B2BUA aware of Session-Expires activated upon early dialog by UPDATE.
> > B2BUA does not receive refresh in time; it sends BYE towards called
> party
> > for 1 of multiple early dialogs for branch.
>
> Yes, in theory it can be implemented since it's written :)
> That's why I insist on "real" implementations :)

It is real.  Hitting it within a deployment is a separate issue. :)

> > > since RFC3261 is not strict about the need of Contact and RR headers
> > > in 1XX responses, we cannot expect sending an in-dialog request (BYE)
> > > during an early-dialog to work.
> >
> > If I recall correctly (sorry no time dig up references), RFC 3261
> > is strict about adding Contact although it may be hidden within the
> > text.  The To tag is required to form a dialog; Contact is required
> > to be included within dialog forming responses.
>
> Yes, but RFC 3261 states that Contact is required in reliable
> I remember a long thread about it and it was clear that... it
> wasn't clear :)

The following was one of the threads:
https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/sip-implementors/2008-August/020062.html

Read sections 12.1 and 12.1.1:

"Within this specification, only 2xx and 101-199 responses with a To tag, where
the request was INVITE, will establish a dialog."

"When a UAS responds to a request with a response that establishes a dialog
(such as a 2xx to INVITE), the UAS MUST copy all Record-Route header field
values from the request into the response (including the URIs, URI parameters,
and any Record-Route header field parameters, whether they are known or unknown
to the UAS) and MUST maintain the order of those values.  The UAS MUST add a
Contact header field to the response."

> In fact I've seen lots of implementations not adding Contact and RR in 1XX

Yes; there are many non compliant devices.