I thought the inquiry was wrt the Expires header, not the expires header
parameter. The text in 8.3 seems to be talking about what to do if the
value of the expires parameter is malformed. And that only applies to
use in Contact, and perhaps only for use by redirect servers.

So for instance I would argue that this doesn't apply to an Expires
header in a REGISTER. Or even to an expires parameter in a Contact
header in a REGISTER.

(This section is not as clear as one might hope.)

So the