From: sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark R Lindsey
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:26 AM
To: Uttam Sarkar
Cc: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] SIP UDP timeout with multiple proxies

There are three issues here:

(a) Don't try to solve your application failover problems by monkeying
with SIP. Your need to failover is specific to your application; it's
not a SIP issues. If you want to failover within 2 seconds to your
second, then do it at a higher layer. I.e., send your INVITE, and if
your call isn't in progress fast enough to suit you, then CANCEL your
call. Quoth Linus Torvalds: solve problems at the highest layer
possible.

(b) Tuning T1. I agree with Uttam Sarkar that T1 timeout selection is
important. T1 should be "an estimate of round trip time" (RFC 3261
section 17.1.1.1).

(c) Changing the number of retries seems fundamentally evil; suddenly
you're not even trying to follow the SIP specification. Have you
analyzed everything else in the RFC to confirm you're not going to
break something else? And since you can always change T1, why change
the number of retries, when the two numbers are multiplied?

Mark R Lindsey lind...@e-c-group.com +12293160013
http://e-c-group.com/~lindsey