prashanth.me wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> Example SIP URI given by Iñaki Baz, does not contain the ;user=phone
> parameter.
> Should we assume that the userinfo part of the below SIP URI is a
> telephone-subscriber number or not?
> -----------------
>
> sip:12345678;phone-context=mydomain....@provider.com

Who is "we"?

The server responsible for provider.com will *know* what this
represents. Others that are privy to the policies of provider.com may
also know.

But in general, somebody not aware of those specific policies will not
*know* if this represents a telephone-subscriber or not. It can *assume*
this if it wants, but then must understand that this is a guess that may
be wrong.

In any case, what would somebody else do with this if it knew this
represented a telephone-subscriber? Is it to display the URI in a more
user-friendly way? Or to route requests in ways that bypass
provider.com? As far as sip standards are concerned, requests to this
address need to reach a server for provider.com.

You can of course do whatever you are comfortable doing. But there are
no guarantees you are doing the right thing.