On 11/22/11 11:40 AM, Adam Frankel (afrankel) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am seeing a scenario for an established call in which an outbound
> reINVITE is being done, the far end is sending a TRYING and then a REFER
> immediately.  We are rejecting this REFER with a 400 Bad Request because
> the INVITE transaction has not been completed.
>
> I am not clear whether REFER is allowed mid reINVITE or if the far end
> should wait for the 200OK/ACK to complete before sending the REFER.
> I took a look a RFC3515 but it does not appear to state either way
> whether this is allowed.   Can anyone comment?

AFAIK it is not forbidden. IMO your best course of action is to allow it
and make it work.

Nothing says you have to hurry when acting on the REFER. You can just
note it, and act on it when it is convenient - e.g. after the re-INVITE
is complete. But for transaction timing reasons you will need to send
the 200 for the REFER, and perhaps send an initial NOTIFY for the refer
event.