> From: Olle E. Johansson [o...@edvina.net]
>
> 4 apr 2012 kl. 18:21 skrev Worley, Dale R (Dale):
> > - a locally-generated ringback tone for each 180 Ringing that has
> >  been received (or perhaps one ringback tone for all of the 180's
> >  together)

Let me amend what I said, that the locally-generated ringback is
constructed only if there is no non-silent audio stream associated
with the 180's to-tag.

> Unfortunately many pstn gateway services deliver ringback in 183,
> making it very hard to understand
>
> 1) That we're in ringing state
> 2) That this is a ring tone they want to send and not an operator message
>
> I have campaigned for forcing ringbacks to 180 with sdp, like you
> write above, so that an application can prefer a message delivered by
> 183 on top of the ringback. I don't wan't to mix "This phone number
> has no subscriber" with a ring tone.

I would prefer the mixing, as the call is at that moment doing two
distinct things.

> SIP implementors of the world: DO NOT SEND RINGBACK WITH A 183
> RESPONSE WITH SDP.

I agree with that -- one should ensure that the semantics of the
response code are as correct as possible.  But I believe that some
PSTN circuits don't inform the caller when ringing begins, only when
the call is answered.

Dale