From: Brett Tate [mailto:br...@broadsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:26 PM
To: Tarun2 Gupta; sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: RE: [Sip-implementors] SIP messages exchange to maintain a session

I do not recommend attempting to use OPTIONS to determine call/dialog state.

RFC 3261 is ambiguous concerning if a 481 should ever be sent for OPTIONS.
Similarly RFC 5057 clarifies that OPTIONS is not part of dialog usage; thus a
481 has no impact/meaning.  There isn't another OPTIONS response to clearly
indicate that the related dialog is unknown/terminated (and destroy the entire
dialog).

RFC 3261 section 11.2:

"An OPTIONS request received within a dialog generates a 200 (OK)  response
that is identical to one constructed outside a dialog and  does not have any
impact on the dialog."

RFC 3261 section 12.2.2:

"Requests that do not change in any way the state of a dialog may be  received
within a dialog (for example, an OPTIONS request).  They are  processed as if
they had been received outside the dialog."

RFC 5057 section

"OPTIONS does not belong to any usage.  Only those failures discussed  in
Section 5.1 and Section 5.2 that destroy entire dialogs will have  any effect
on the usages sharing the dialog with a failed OPTIONS  request."