I'd say this is just a User Interface issue.  I'd just show the response back
to the user "Call failed.  Target system suggests to retry back in 1000
seconds" or something similar let the user know that there was Retry-After
guidance back.  I would not start  an automatic callback timer but instead
offer to the user if they wish to be notified after the time has elapsed so
they can try the call again.  Something along those lines...

Dan

Dan Mongrain, eng.
Senior Systems Engineer, Public Safety
FREQUENTIS USA Inc.

9017 Red Branch Road, Suite 102 Columbia Maryland 21045
Phone   +1-301-657-8001
Mobile   +1-819-744-0491
Fax       +1-301-657-8002
Web      www.frequentis.com/usa
E-Mail    dan.mongr...@frequentis.com

Incorporated in the State of Maryland
EIN: 52-2178926 CAGE Code: 1XKR9
Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential and
message and associated attachments.