On 12/5/13 12:11 PM, Brett Tate wrote:
>> But if the tablet is still connected, you are likely
>> to get into a fight between the two devices. The tablet
>> will presumably reregister when it thinks its current
>> registration is going to expire. And if it follows
>> the same logic, it then might decide to unregister
>> your phone. I doubt that is what you want.
>>
>> Note that the existing registered devices typically
>> won't learn immediately that they have been unregistered.
>> But if they want to know that right away they can
>> discover it be subscribing to the registration event
>> package.
>
> The fight over subscriptions can be just as bad (i.e. subscription recreation
> loop).  More specifically if the server doesn't allow an unlimited number of
> simultaneous subscriptions for a particular event package, it will need to
> decide what to do.  If the server terminates an old subscription because
> allowing a new subscription, the device owning the old subscription might
> create another subscription, again, again, ... if NOTIFY sent when
> terminating the subscription.

I haven't heard of an event server that would so severely limit the
number of subscriptions. In any case that is irrelevant to the current
discussion.

And having the subscription only allows the registration fight to
proceed more rapidly. :-)

If you want to have a policy of only one device registered at a time,
then I think it will be necessary to have some additional mechanism to
mediate between competing devices.

Perhaps you could have each device only refresh its registration if
there is nothing else registered.