My suggestion would be to review detailed CCM traces and ccsip debug output
from your CUBE. The examples you listed below seem pretty accurate, but getting
a concrete answer about why you receive a 404 when dialing a valid telephone
number would only be possible through detailed CCM SDI/SDL traces and debugs
off the gateway. With so many variables that can alter your call between CUCM
and CUBE, SDI/SDL traces and ccsip debugging will provide you with accurate
data about what's occurring within your environment.

The high level steps I would take after setting CCM traces to detailed and
recreating the 404:

1. Use Notepad++ to open your SDI/SDL traces.
2. Use a style token to highlight your Call-ID headers for your test call
3. Follow related SIP events until you find your 404
4. Review SDI/SDL signaling that's printed in traces just before the 404 is
generated. Do you see a failure on LBM (location bandwidth manager) bandwidth
reservation? Do you see Digit Analysis returning with a "No Potential Matches"
in the DA response? Do you see the 404 being received by CUCM from CUBE? If so
then you'll have to review output of ccsip debugging off CUBE to see if the 404
is being generated by the ITSP or your CUBE router.
5. If generated by CUBE then I would place another test call while running a
debug of the ccapi to determine what dial-peers are being match, if there's a
match failure, incorrect/misconfigured sip profiles or voice translation rules,
etc.

Obviously this is a very high level description and the methods used to review
CCM traces is dependent on the number of CUCM nodes, where your devices are
registered, and if you're on CUCM 9x or on a version below, etc..

I hope this helps.

- Daniel