Hi,

I am trying to determine an IMS UE behavior on receiving a 504 response to
a re-REGISTER request. I have read the 3gpp TS 24.229 and it is ambiguous
as to what the UE should do.

*On receiving a 504 for the REGISTER, does the UE send the initial REGISTER
back to the same PCSCF or to a different PCSCF?*

Here excerpts from the 3gpp TS 24.229version c20.

*--------Section 5.1.1.2. Initial Registration --------*

"On receiving a 408 (Request Timeout) response or 500 (Server Internal
Error) response or 504 (Server Time-Out) or 600 (Busy Everywhere) response
for an initial registration, the UE may attempt to perform initial
registration again."

*--------Section 5.1.1.4 User initiated reregistration and
authentication-------*

"On receiving a 408 (Request Timeout) response or 500 (Server Internal
Error) response or 504 (Server Time-Out) response for a reregistration, the
UE shall perform the procedures for initial registration as described in
subclause 5.1.1.2."

*-------- Section 5.1.2.A Abnormal Case - non REGISTER methods ------- *
"If the UE has discovered multiple P-CSCF addresses and has information
that the P-CSCF was unable to forward the request resulting in sending back
the 504 (Server Time-out) response, when starting the initial registration
it is appropriate for the UE to select a P-CSCF address different from the
one used for the registration binding on which the 504 (Server Time-out)
response was received."

Thanks
RC