Jānis Rukšāns <janis.ruks...@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm wondering what was the reason behind this change from RFC 2543.
> Session updates where the roles of the offerer and answerer are
> reversed?

My guess is that at the time, people conceptualized the use of multicast
within SIP in one way:  There is a single multicast address/port, both
UAs send media to it, and both UAs subscribe to the address/port to
receive the media.

>> On the other hand, I've never heard of anyone attempting to use
>> multicast within a SIP dialog.
>
> What we would like to do is to use SIP for setting up multimedia
> sessions that *are not* VoIP calls, in the context of AES67.  SIP is
> already required by AES67 for setting up unicast streams, and it would
> make sense to use it for multicast, too.

It seems to me that this is a case where additional standards
development needs to be done because it is a different usage than anyone
has worried about until now, and probably a difference usage from what
anyone has done before.  Fortunately, you won't have to worry much about
upward-compatibility, as there is no previous usage.  It would also help
to have an I-D that documents the usage situations and how you use SIP
within them, as well as what you want the SDP to do.

Dale