Roman,

On 9/30/16 2:27 PM, Roman Shpount wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu
<mailto:pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:

    The inclusion of generic-param is a provision for future extensions
    with backward compatibility. It doesn't mean that anybody is
    *permitted* to add whatever they want. (It takes a published RFC to
    validly define a new header field parameter.) So if you *insert*
    values that haven't been properly defined and registered then you
    are violating the specs.

This interpretation would break a lot of SIP implementations. The reason
for this is that Via and Route generic parameters are used by stateless
proxies to store application specific state. There is no other place to
put it. Skype for business was one example. I can probably find another
10-15 examples similar to that from other products.

Maybe it would. But I think it is more than simply *my* interpretation.

RFC3427 says:

   Anyone who thinks that the existing SIP protocol is applicable to
   their application, yet not sufficient for their task must write an
   individual Internet-Draft explaining the problem they are trying to
   solve, why SIP is the applicable protocol, and why the existing SIP
   protocol will not work.

And RFC3968 says:

   SIP header field parameters and parameter values MUST be documented
   in an RFC in order to be registered by IANA.  This documentation MUST
   fully explain the syntax, intended usage, and semantics of the
   parameter or parameter value.  The intent of this requirement is to
   assure interoperability between independent implementations, and to
   prevent accidental namespace collisions between implementations of
   dissimilar features.

How can you read those to allow use of unregistered values?

If there is need for this, then there ought to be a revision to carve out a namespace for proprietary header field parameters, in general, or perhaps only for Via.