Sonicwall Firewalls are dropping fragmented SIP packets beginning with
SonicOS 5.8 by default. This is justified by the following sentence:

> Fragmented UDP traffic, especially SIP traffic, is a clear violation of
> RFC protocol, which SonicOS Enhanced firmware 5.8 and above very strictly
> adhere to in these circumstances. RFC 3261 is the RFC standard for SIP
> traffic, and states the following:

18.1.1 Sending Requests The client side of the transport layer is
> responsible for sending the request and receiving responses. The user of
> the transport layer passes the client transport the request, an IP address,
> port, transport, and possibly TTL for multicast destinations. *If a
> request is within 200 bytes of the path MTU, or if it is larger than 1300
> bytes and the path MTU is unknown, the request MUST be sent using an RFC
> 2914 [43] congestion controlled transport protocol, such as TCP.*

My question is now: Does this last sentence really mean, that UDP
fragmentation is violating RFC3261?

There is also an additional statement on their page:

> SonicOS enhanced firmware 5.6, which is no longer supported, was less RFC
> compliant on this, but 5.8 has enhanced security by becoming more strict.
> RFC 4693 goes into additional detail regarding security concerns of
> unnecessary packet fragmentation.

Unfortunately RFC4693 covers a completely different topic. Is there any RFC
which covers the topic of security concerns when using packet fragmentation?

I only found this statement in an older posting:

> SIP ALGs, STUN servers, etcetera, must allow UDP fragmentation unless they
> are intentionally sacrificing interoperability for security reasons.

https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/sip-implementors/2005-May/009187.html

BR
Philipp