From: sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu
<sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu> On Behalf Of Alex Balashov
Sent: Tuesday, January o, 2019 11:29 AM
To: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] Reflection of non-registered SDP attributes

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 11:21:01AM -0500, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> 5.13 says: "Attributes MUST be registered with IANA", so why do you
> say this isn't illegal?

Upon reflection, you are certainly correct. I suppose the notion of legality
I had in mind was implicitly to do with grammatical validity / request
intelligibility rather than policy.

So, if the attribute is not registered and if the foregoing applies to
unsupported but registered attributes, and is therefore illegal, then, in
the context of one of those acrimonious "how dare you say I'm not following
the standards?" disputes, does this--in any _reasonable_ way, taking purely
political phenomena out of it--open the door to the receiver/answerer vendor
arguing that an endpoint making use of an unregistered attribute (that is to
say, illegally so) is not justified in expecting predictable or
standards-prescribed results in the answer?

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)