On 4/13/19 9:31 PM, abhishek jain wrote:
Thanks Paul for your great suggestions. Since, I don't want to add traffic to network, so I don't want to use a separate set of SIP MESSAGE request/response.

I doubt that this would have any appreciable affect on your network traffic unless you are using MESSAGE is a really inappropriate way. If your traffic is that high then you probably ought to be establishing a direct channel for these messages.

Based on our requirements, I find your suggestion of Content-ID header field option being really suitable. I am putting the request/response snippet below as per my understanding from your suggestion and various RFCs, please let me know if that looks good.

For example -
*Server to Client :*
MESSAGE <server-uri>
:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <chat-info>
     :
    </chat-info>

*Client to Server:*
SIP/2.0 200 OK
:
Call-Info:<cid:cn35t8jf02@example.com <mailto:cid%3acn35t8j...@example.com>>; purpose=info
content-ID:<cn35t8j...@example.com <mailto:cn35t8j...@example.com>>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <chat-info>
     :
    </chat-info>

Why is the mailto stuff present above???

I would expect just

Call-Info:<cid:cn35t8jf02@example.com>; purpose=info
content-ID:<cn35t8j...@example.com>

Otherwise it looks reasonable.

Regards
Abhishek

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM Paul Kyzivat <pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu <mailto:pkyzi...@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:

    On 4/13/19 4:43 PM, abhishek jain wrote:
     > Thanks Paul for your quick response on a Saturday. I really
    appreciate.
     > I am wondering how to implement below without introducing another
    pair
     > of SIP request/response, if you could suggest that would be great
    with
     > SIP compliance -
     >
     > 1. My server sending some configurations to client using SIP MESSAGE
     > 2. Client may apply some of them, so client should respond back
    with the
     > config that have been applied.
     >
     > Would you suggest to include a proprietary SIP header containing the
     > information to be conveyed to server ? What could be the max data a
     > header may contain ?

    I don't want to encourage you to use proprietary means. The most
    straightforward way would be to use a separate MESSAGE in the reverse
    direction.

    You *could* add a header field to the MESSAGE response. That wouldn't
    violate the rules of MESSAGE. And you could have that header field
    reference a body using a Content-ID URL (cid:). You can read about this
    in RFC5621. But you then need to find a suitable header field that
    contains a URL. (I don't recommend making up a new header field. It
    won't be valid sip even though correct implementations should ignore
    header fields they don't understand.)  You might be able to use
    Call-Info with purpose=info because it is very loosely defined. In that
    case you would use Content-Type to indicate the format of your body.
    But
    of course you then need your own MIME-type to use for that.

    If this is going to be an extended conversation then it would be better
    to establish a dialog and then send your data within it. In that case
    you could use INFO (RFC6086, *not* RFC2976). Note that this still
    requires a separate request in each direction.

    Or, you could establish a media channel to send your data using MSRP.

    Or you could establish a data channel via
    draft-ietf-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg-25.

    There is no theoretical limit to the size of a header field or a body.
    But once they get very big you will need a TCP or TLS connection rather
    than UDP. And sip implementations may impose some limit.

    <mailto:Sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu>