Alex,

A classic use case is 3PCC: A device in the middle wants to broker a call between two other endpoints. A priori it doesn't know the capabilities of either of those endpoints, and doesn't want to put itself in the media path as a transcoder. So it asks one end to provide an offer so it can offer that to the other end.