On 2/19/20 10:01 PM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
Paul Heitkemper <paul.heitkem...@atlasied.com> writes:
If you are placed on hold (a=sendonly), and the holder sends you a
media stream, are you required to play it? I looked through RFC's
3261, 2327, and 3264, but I don't really see a requirement to actually
play a media stream ever- when on hold or not.

That's right.  Indeed, there is essentially no specification of how a
SIP endpoint connects the RTP media streams to the user interface.  But
it might be difficult to sell a phone that will not render
media-on-hold.

It would probably be a poor phone implementation that unconditionally failed to play media on hold. But one that gives the user a way to locally mute it until two way media is reestablished could be a nice feature.

And a feature that allows you totally disconnect the call from the local media and black-hole it rather that hanging up could also be a nice feature.

This is all outside the scope of the SIP specifications.