It is the install ISO

The PC would just boot straight to Windows or the development build (on one PC
I still have Windows XP and on the other I have installed the latest
development build) as if the CD is not there.

I do not see the "sipXecs" starting window where you can type manual-install

I know the CD is fine as it boots fine on my laptop and of course my PCs are
bootable from the CD-ROM

I tried to "fake" the initial start, i.e I first boot from a development build
and when I see the first prompt I put in the stable CD and type
"manual-install".

This did not work as it could not find vmlinux