Hi Gabor,
Back in February I conducted an experiment that aimed at finding how
many call attempts per second (CAPS) could be achieved on a single
sipXecs.  The setup involved a series a SIPp scripts simulating load and
was executed on a single Dell PowerEdge R300 server equipped with
2.50GHz Quad-core processor with 1.33GHz bus speed and 4GB of 667MHz
memory.  My findings were that the system could easily handle up to
20CAPS while handling the registration traffic load generated by 3625
simulated user agents. Please refer to the following spreadsheet for
more details.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptRrhxeKvPqVYygd0mwMZIA&hl=en

One thing to note is that when I started my experiments, like you, I was
getting poor performance (although not quite as poor) and I realized
that the RAID was misconfigured on the box.  It would be unlikely that
you suffer from the same RAID affliction but it's worth looking into
just in case.

May I ask how you generate your 8 requests per second and what those
requests are (INVITEs, REGISTERs, SUBSCRIBEs, ...) and what kind of
calls are you making (local user to local user, call to hunt groups,
...)?  Have you checked that you do not have any loops in your
configuration, i.e. do you see any 482 Loop Detected anywhere?  What
sipXecs version are you running and is it installed from the ISO?
Finally, I would be interested in looking at a portion of your sipXproxy
logs set to 'DEBUG' level while your test is running. If you can share
this with me, please e-mail it directly to me.

Cheers,
bob