From: Todd Hodgen [mailto:t.hod...@misiusystems.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:10 AM
To: 'Tony Graziano'; Picher, Michael; ke...@glensound.co.uk;
dwor...@nortel.com
Cc: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: RE: [sipx-users] interesting post in TMC blogs... off topic but
ithought the group might be interested.

ON a more serious note, Microsoft has made a substantial investment in a
core switch platform, from Nortel.  There is a good sized Nortel team
assigned specifically to Microsoft to help with development of the OCS
platform, and Microsoft is making a serious investment of talent to
develop
their hosted OCS platform.  One US cellular carrier has a network of
over
1,000 BCM switches in their retail stores, that are being replaced with
OCS
and NET media gateways.  They have completed their trials and the first
stores are rolling out with the new solution now.  This is displacing a
over
$3 Million in investment, much that was just installed in the last
couple of
years.

On one of the tech forums someone laughed at replacing a good working
Nortel
Key system with a VOIP solution.  Not to pick on Nortel, but the same
goes
for any legacy system from Avaya, Panasonic, or whomever.  Companies are
doing it today, and it will continue.  Vendors can watch or become a
part of
it.  Solutions selling, with OPEX savings is the name of the game today,
not
business expansion.  A simplified, feature rich solution that can
utilize
lower cost facilities is the name of the game, just as it was in the
1982-1985 period of time.

SipXecs is a great solution for those companies looking for facilities
savings and new advanced solutions.

It wasn't long ago that we laughed at Microsoft trying to get into the
browser business against Netscape.  Netscape who?  They will be a
serious
competitor, with lots of financial resources, and desire to be in this
industry.  To view them any different than that I believe would be a
mistake.