From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Dennis
Wallen
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 4:25 PM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: [sipx-users] Experiences with SipX, Grandstream GXW4104 FXO
gateway,Snom 320 phones, a couple of firewalls, and remote worker setup.

Over the past few weeks I've been considering SipX as a replacement for
our existing phone system.  My greatest interest is in the remote worker
configuration to help support "virtual office" functionality.  I don't
really have any questions, but thought I'd share my experience in case
it's helpful to someone else.

I initially had difficulty getting the remote worker feature to operate
for two reasons.  The first problem had to do with my firewall due to my
confusion when reading some SipX documentation regarding symmetric NAT.
Here is a quote from "SIP Trunking with sipXecs".  "SipXbridge assumes
symmetric NAT port mapping. That means an internal port must be mapped
to an identical external port and vice versa. Without such a mapping
some sipx components will not work. Not all NATs will lend themselves to
such mapping."  The use of the term does not match the definition of
"Symmetric NAT".  I didn't realize what the problem was until I looked
in a log file and found a warning entry that suggested that the internal
and external port mapping were different and that there may be problems
(I can't remember the exact message).  I replaced my SonicWall TZ190
with a simple WRTG54GS2 Linksys wireless router and that problem cleared
up.

The second problem ended up being with my Snom 320 phones.  One of the
Snoms was at another location on the other side of a 3Com OfficeConnect
firewall.  I made no configuration changes to that firewall.  I noticed
in the Snom log that SipX was adding the proper information to traverse
NAT.  The Snom would register and I could place and receive calls, but
there was no audio.  I noticed that the Snom was trying to open a
connection directly to the PRIVATE IP address the SipX server even
though SipX had provided the proper IP in the SDP payload of the SIP
INVITE message.  I reported the problem to Snom and they opened a bug
ticket number of SCPP-1007 on August 6th.

To continue testing I used the X-Lite softphone from CounterPath.
Remote worker functionality seems to be working now.

My next experience was setting up the Grandstream GXW4104 FXO gateway.
The setup was fairly simple.  The biggest issue I had was that it kept
trying to dial the "9" prefix.  I'm still not certain if the issue is
with the gateway or with SipX.  SipX claims that it's not sending the
prefix in the rule, but I see it in the SIP message.  I ended up
configuring the Grandstream to "eat" the 9 to work around the problem.

The final issue I had was trying to get call forking to work.  I wanted
my extension and cell phone to ring together.  The Grandstream gateway
was treating the call as answered immediately after dialing even though
I hadn't answered the phone.  Someone on a Grandstream forum suggested I
could enable Polarity Reversal to get the desired behavior.  That also
requires that feature from the phone company.  I haven't tried that yet.

My biggest observation is that SipX does not work when it is behind a
firewall that has symmetric NAT.  What the docs are calling symmetric is
more of a one-to-one mapping.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
The remote worker can be behind symmetric NAT and that worked just fine.

I hope some of my experiences are helpful to someone.