On 2009-09-09, at 11:41, Gaëtan Minet wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you very much for your feedback.
> Do you mean the EC is not active at all (even the low 25ms) for the
> far-end side when we use the gateway in TE mode to connect a local
> sip system to the pstn using BRAs ?
> Damned, I must have missed this in the datasheet :(

echo tail for far is around 100 to 500ms no EC chip can correct for
that.
That is why EVERYBODY needs to cancel near-end echo.

If You hear echo that there is nothing You can do but to tell the
other side to upgrade to better equipment or better carrier/operator.

Operators are mandated to use CARRIER grade EC chips (128ms echo tail)
on each customer port Analog/BRI/PRI just in case the customer has
flaky equipment.
But this stuff is expensive so carriers often turn on EC chips only
for customers that are identified as echo source.

> So you're not using the gateway to connect to pstn in your case,
> only to connect local isdn terminals ?

Both.

> Here we get plenty of far-end echo on our last installation when
> using the gateway to connect to the pstn.
> We just tried the patton gateways instead of pci cards (I didn't
> notice EC was only 25ms...).
> Before that, we used digium b410p with 64ms HW EC on asterisk, but
> we noticed that, although the echo seems to disappear, there still
> remains a "crispy" echo than can be easily heard on good sip phones
> like polycom... thank you HD audio :) . We are still waiting for an
> answer from Digium support.
>
> One or two year ago we almost never heard echo, but now we have more
> and more, mainly on companies that receive calls from residential
> users.
> I suspect this could be due to the increasing popularity of "triple
> play" offers here where the providers probably use cheap ATAs, and
> the end users usually have cheap analog home phones. I guess the
> latency and round trip can easily go above 64ms on these setups.
>
> Are you aware of good gateways with 128ms echo canceller (Audiocodes
> maybe ?). These are probably way more expensive but we could at
> least try it to confirm the problem.
> Maybe we should also try to build a standalone asterisk gateway with
> better cards that the digium B410p then (sangoma cards have 128ms
> EC, but maybe a software EC like oslec will provide better results
> than the patton anyway).

Try Sangoma Cards (128ms carrier grade EC).  Cheaper then Digium if
You buy from us ;)

But beware that far-end echo cancellation is not Your responsibility.
You can combat it only if the delay is less then You EC chip echo tail
which is often not the case.

Pawel,