Apologies if I'm reading like an idiot (well, at best an uneducated
person), but I'm still bothered by this.

I can see that for each of the two cases sipXecs is sending a
different REFER, my point was why does the extension just have the
domain name, while the conference has the full hostname ?

Also if I dial the conference directly, the INVITE just has the domain
name, and it connects...

As an aside, I've opened an Avaya ticket to see why they are changing
the target. I probably won't have a sensible response for a few days,
but...

Cheers

Arne