On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 18:36 -0600, Eric Varsanyi wrote:

> My question is: shouldn't *all* outbound calls through a gateway have
> their 'From' remapped based on the gateway settings?

The current design intent is that they should not.

This has been discussed often enough that I'm going to create a FAQ for
it on the wiki (one more item on the to-do list)....

The reason that we don't remap addresses from outside the domain is to
preserve the caller id on forwarded calls.  If you set your sipXecs
system to forward calls to your cell phone, and someone calls your
sipXecs number, the call is forwarded and the caller id sent to the PSTN
is that of the outside caller - you can see who is really calling (as
opposed to the caller id being that of your office).

The above assumes that your PSTN connection supports sending an
arbitrary caller id, but if it doesn't this discussion is moot.