-----Original Message-----
From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Dale D
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 1:51 PM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] Delete VM After Email

I was not trying to upset the IMAP applecart for 4.2.  I was
simply stating a simple feature request to have the VM
attachment sent to an external email system with SMTP and
then to forget it.  Obviously this implies that if the SMTP
session fails completely it should be retried.  I had
assumed (wrongly?) that this type of retry would already be
in the existing system.

I second Gerald's comments for this feature request and
would be happy to clarify any quetions.  I seems like a
"simple" forward to me with no local copy made, but since
I'm not familar with the internal architecture of sipXecs,
it may not be simple....but it is certainly simpler than
IMAP.

-------------------------
As an open source community there are two ways to get it done -

a)  Write it up as a product enhancement spelling out the specifics of it,
the community as a whole will vote or no vote for the feature for a future
release.

b) create the feature and donate it to the community like Avaya and others
do.

I don't think anyone would argue that it has value and would be used.  I
think what was being pointed out is that they generally are not as simple as
they sound, and there is already a lot of planning that has gone through
what was created already or is being created.

I'd recommend writing it up as a future enhancement, including all of the
details that make it an effective enhancement and reasons.

BTW, if there is a voicemail that does that now, you could possibly use it
as your external voicemail.