On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 08:07 -0500, Josh Patten wrote:
> http://sipxecssw.org/pub/sipXecs/index.php?dir=4.2.0%2F
>
> If this is the final release could someone update the web page please,
> and make a post to the mailing list?

As previously noted, there is (at this writing) still one outstanding
issue.

The way that we do things is that we do a build with some version number
(in this case 4.2.0-nnnnnn), test it, and when we're happy we designate
that build as the stable release build (as opposed to testing with a
development 4.2.7-nnnnnn number and then having to rebuild just to
change the number).   If we're not happy, we fix it and rebuild (the
-nnnnnn part of the version string changes, since the svn revision
changed) and repeat.

The fact that you're now seeing 4.2.0-nnnnnn builds means two things:

     1. We think that any build now could be the one we designate as the
        stable release build.

     2. It is possible to upgrade to this build (but see below), and
        from this build to the eventual stable build.

...so if for some reason you're desperate to upgrade or especially eager
to help with testing, and you don't believe that the remaining open
issue affects you, then upgrading to one of the 4.2.0 builds is ok.
Unless you have a good reason to do this, I'd suggest waiting so that
you only have to do the upgrade once, because you'll want to (we'll want
you to) upgrade that to the stable one anyway and why do it twice?

As Robert said, as soon as we believe the last issue is fixed, I'll post
a release announcement.

Important Note on Upgrading:

        There is a bug in 4.0.4 that breaks upgrading from the web user
        interface.  Specifically, it disables to use of the CentOS
        repositories during the upgrade, which causes some prerequisites
        to be unavailable, which makes the upgrade fail.  The bug has
        been fixed in 4.2 (and a bunch of other improvements to the
        upgrade interface have been made too).

        The best way to avoid the problem is to just do the upgrade from
        the command line.  Modify your yum repository configuration to
        point to the repo where the 4.2 version is, and run 'yum
        update', and when it's done, reboot.