> I am curious as to whether the following "should" work in 4.2
> under the following:
>
> sipxecs
> server<----firewall--->|Internet|<---firewall---><remote
> branch, users: thing1 and thing2>

This is definitely a scenario that is working.  Support for this kind of
deployment was one of the major justifications for doing the far-end NAT
traversal feature in the first place.

I you can, I would be *very* interested in seeing the tcpdump output of your
failing scenario.  The 'tcpdump' command you need to run can be found in
http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/xecsuserV4r0/Remote+User+NAT+Traversal
(along with other troubleshooting and config tips).