You'll have to do some testing with load.  With not much of a load they
usually work fine...  I've built many on KVM and on VMWare.

I think with esx 4 at a minimum you'll want to dedicate 1 or two
processors just to that virtual host for best operation.

If you are going to operate an install of any size your may not truly
know performance issues until you go live.  Under load, performance
problems will raise their head in the voicemail, MOH, ivr, acd and
possibly SIP trunking.

All of that being said, it's still a bit of an unknown with the new
voicemail subsystem in 4.2.  In theory it should work better.

Mike