I'm getting ready to write a proposal to replace our existing phone systems
with a sipxecs implementation.

I'm envisioning purchasing 2 T1 gateways - 1 for bringing dial tone in - the
other for linking to our old phone system (during the transition period) - then
re-using the 2nd one as we expand out.  Is this typically the recommended way
to phase out the old system - or do you recommend switching everyone all at
once?  Bearing in mind that no one onsite has any clue how to program our aging
NEC phone switch?

Also - any advice/recommendations for the T1 gateway (such as - should you buy
2 separate gateways each with 1 T1 interface - or buy 1 gateway with 2 T1
interfaces).  I'm not overly familiar with traditional telephone systems...

Thanks,

Nathaniel Watkins
IT Director
Garrett County Government
313 East Alder Street, Room 210
Oakland, MD  21550
Telephone: 301-334-5001
Fax: 301-334-5021
E-mail: nwatk...@garrettcounty.org<mailto:nwatk...@garrettcounty.org>

You could use an AudioCodes Mediant 1000 gateway with either one dual-port
T1/E1 card or two single-port T1/E1 cards.
The Mediant 1000 supports T1 CAS (E&M, LoopStart, etc) for the legacy PBX
system and PRI over T1 for connection to the PSTN.

Dave.