> Ok, let me see if I can get more granular with my
> explanation.  I was in a hurry before and didn't give the
> detail I should have.  I apologize.

Not a problem.  Most times, it's hard to converge on the right solution without
the full background.

> I am running sipXecs 4.2 with Polycom 650 phones.
>
> On my phone, I went to Menu > Features > Messages > Instant
> Messenger > New.  I entered the extension I want to send the
> message to.  In this case, 200.
>
> I press "OK", then chose "Edit" to add the message.  When
> finished, I press "Send".  The message is sent to the phone.
>
> When I look at the phone, the message is displayed where the
> alerts are
> displayed: Beneath the date and time.  On the recipient
> handset, I drill down as I did above, going to Menu >
> Features > Messages > Instant Messenger.  I see the message
> there and clear it.  I then exit out to the home screen.  The
> message is still there.  I drill back down to the Instant
> Messenger option, there are no messages.
>
> I have tried rebooting the phone, but the message is still present.
>
> I have looked through the wiki as you suggested, Tony, but it
> didn't have any information that appears relevant to this issue.

Thanks for explaining this further.  The Instant Messaging server introduced in
4.2 is XMPP-based and can be used by XMPP-compatible clients like pidgin for
example.  The experiment of sending an IM from one polycom to the other does
not make use of that IM server at all.  The Polycoms simply exchange IMs using
SIP SIMPLE which get routed by sipXecs's SIP Proxy and is something you can do
with versions of sipXecs that predate the introduction of the IM Server.  Now,
as far as figuring out why polycom does not clear the messages, I have no clue
- I never use SIP SIMPLE to exchange IMs.  Having said that, if you want to see
the IM integration we did in action, I suggest you download a nice (and free)
XMPP IM client such as Pidgin, create a few SIP accounts with IM enabled and
exchange messages between clients that way.

And in case you are wondering, there is no supported way of exchanging IMs
between an XMPP client like Pidgin and a SIP SIMPLE client like Polycom on
sipXecs.

bob