From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
<sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org>
To: m...@grounded.net <m...@grounded.net>; sipx-users
<sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org>
Sent: Fri Jul 16 15:19:24 2010
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] Random Dropped Registrations

Any of a million things could be happening.

(One thing to check: is ntpd.conf's modification date reasonable?  If its
date got mis-set *into the future*, some process might be trying to restart
NTP over and over, because it always thinks ntp.conf was just changed.)

But to find out "what is restarting ntpd", do this hack:

while sleep 1
do
    echo
    date
    ps xawwf
done >/tmp/really-big-file

After an hour, go look in messages to find out exactly what second NTP was
restarted, and check the output of the script to see what was running at
that second.

In really ugly cases, I've eliminated the sleep in that loop, but that
generates output so fast you don't want to run it in the background, only
for a couple of minutes around the restart point.  Fortunately, the problem
you see happens at predictable times.

Dale