Yes, that is exactly the scenario I'm describing.

This customer actually already has a call block feature with their ITSP...ie to
block anonymous calls and a few others.   But the calls did not cease.  When we
looked into it the calls where not coming in via the SIP trunk but directly to
port 5060 from sip servers in another country.

So it seems reasonable to me that a feature that simply says "do not accept
calls not from my itsp" would be one method to help control this.

-M

>>> "Todd Hodgen" <thod...@verizon.net> 08/07/10 12:47 PM >>>

 <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<![endif]-->
 <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
 </o:shapelayout><![endif]--><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Somebody ringing my PSTN phone can ring the phone, but they can’tcall out on
it.   Similarly, someone getting a two way audio path upwith a SIP phone, can
just do that, but can’t call out.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
What I think Matt is proposing is a solution that says if youare calling one of
the devices on my network, you need to have my permission todo so.   Similar
products have come on the market for the PSTN due tounsolicited calling that
requires you to authenticate you are approved to callthat PSTN number, before
it would ring the telephone at the residence. Call blockers are what many call
them.  Example item -
http://www.amazon.com/Caller-Phone-Ring-Control-Completed/dp/B0007R5TQ6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281199141&sr=8-10<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
If I’m understanding Matt correctly, he is suggesting amethod of turning off
the ability to ring a phone on your network randomly fromthe outside, or a
method similar to the device that kept nuisance callsout.  To me it is
legitimate, as the last thing any business wants is some10 year old hacker call
all of the phones on the network playing “phonering ditch”.   I agree with
Matt, this isn’t a protocolissue, but a method of controlling if each
individual phone will participate inthat portion of the protocol, or deny it
explicitly.   A URI accesslist comes to mind as well, saying I will accept
incoming URI calls if theycome from these domains, or these ranges of IP
addresses.  You couldbounce unwanted URI calls to a common extension that had
an announcement of a methodto get permission to URL call into the system
also.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I think he brings up an excellent point that I hadn’tconsidered.  I’m sure
someday I am going to get a call from acustomer that they are getting prank
calls that they want to end.  Geez.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
</thod...@verizon.net>