That's good to know not to bother with the GUI updater.

I've now got remote shell access, hoorah.

So, currently /etc/yum.repos.d contains many CentOS sections, I assume I leave
all those and just replace the [sipXecs-stable] section at the end of the file
with the following (from
http://download.sipfoundry.org/pub/sipXecs/sipxecs-centos.repo ) and replace
"$releasever" with "5"?

[sipXecs]
name=sipXecs build service for CentOS $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.sipfoundry.org/pub/sipXecs/4.2.1/CentOS_5/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

I now run 'yum clean all' and then 'yum update' and it's looking good, thanks
very much.