Hello All,

I am working on a first/test deployment of 4.2.1 and am struggling to make
decisions about the network topology.

1 - This system will replace my trusty FreePBX system in my office and will
connect to my ITSP (Teliax) via B2BUA.
2 - I want to test and understand the concepts of running a small office phone
system with both remote workers and remote branches/offices
3 - I have installed 4.2.1 from the ISO.

4 - I am deploying a pfSense firewall as well
5 - I have a statis IP available for sipX if needed and have all external DNS
SRV records correctly configured
5 - I want to understand sipXECS in the context of deploying in small offices
with limited disruption to the existing network infrastructure (or, with out
the need to completely re-work the infrastructure of an existing office)

With all that in mind, my current thinking is to deploy on a separate LAN
(VLAN) and letting the sipX server handle DNS/DHCP/NTP for the phones.

Questions:

1 - Should sipX have a public IP address behind a 1:1 NAT in pfSense? Or,
should it have a public IP directly on the Internet. Or, is it sufficient to
have a private IP on the phone VLAN and port forward as needed
2 - If sipX has a private internal IP/subnet - I'm assuming I would run a
"Split DNS" structure, with the internal DNS server running on the sipX server
pointing to the private IP and my outside records pointing to my public IP
2 - Is it correct thinking to assume that the ultimate goal with this
deployment is to allow media streams from point-to-point in as many situations
as possible. Is this the correct framework to be thinking about how to lay out
the network?
3 - In light of #2 above, using VPNs to tunnel remote workers is not a good
solution - correct?

Usage Scenario - If I place a Polycom phone at my house (basic DSL connection
behind a generic NAT router) - and have it configured with a line registered to
my sipX server - if I place an outside call, can I expect that media paths will
be established directly to the ITSP? What about an incoming call - caller calls
in and receives an Auto-Attendant (RTP is flowing between ITSP and sipX),
caller selects an option to call my remote extension at the house (signalling
is between sipX and remote Polycom - when call is answered, RTP is between
Polycom and ITSP) - callee at the house then transfers the call to an extension
at the office (signalling is between the Polycom and sipX/Tranferee Extension,
when call is answered, RTP is between ITSP and Transferee Extension).

Is this what the "goal" would be - if I have correctly configured my topology
and devices?

Thanks so much for any help,

Dave Redmore
Spigot Networks, Inc.