I use a little custom script with Mindi (part of the Mondo package) and Rsync.
I have a couple of USB drives that I rotate for this. The drive has a FAT
partition (FAT so that I can just plug my backup drive into a Windows box to
burn the ISO) for the Mindi ISO file and an EXT3 partition for filesystem
files. The Mindi ISO gives you a bootable CD with any special hardware drivers
you might need for your hardware - although I have usually just used a generic
Live Distro to do restores. Restore is a very manual process - I keep notes of
the partition/filesystem layout - Boot to the new hardware, create the
partitions and filesystems needed, Rsync files back onto the drive, re-install
the bootloader and you are back online. In the example I'm attaching, I have
Zimbra running, so I stop Zimbra while the backup of those files runs - any
databases I just stop them while backup runs (none of my servers require 24/7
availability of services) - you could easily implement a mysqldump into this,
or whatever you needed for a hot BU of databases, I've tested this process
restoring a server to different hardware (I try and stick with commodity
hardware as nothing I need to do requires anything more and then I don't have
to deal with driver issues) in about 30 minutes.

Attaching the scripts, but not sure if they will make it through, so email me
directly if you need them.

Dave Redmore
Spigot Networks, Inc.