From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Tony Graziano
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 10:24 AM
To: Discussion list for users of sipXecs software
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] HA with Failover problems

Not currently. There is a lot of work ongoing to enhance the redundancy of the
system, but the RTP stream itself is not redundant.

Right now your "proxy" and "registrar" are redundant. This means if one goes
down, phones will register to the available server and new calls will route
through the available server.

If you are on a call and the proxy breaks it's POSSIBLE your call will stay up,
depending upon the media path.

Look at this

[sipx pstn gateway] <<-->> [SIPX] <<-->>(ETHERNET NETWORK) <<-->> <USER/PHONE>

      -------------------------------------MEDIA
PATH---------------------------------------------------------

In the above example, once the call comes in and hits the proxy, the proxy
notifies the user. Once the user picks up the phone and the media is
established the call goes PEER to PEER. If you are using sip trunks with
sipXbridge, the media is anchored in sipx.

As a demo, I routinely place a call via an external SBC (not sipXbridge) or a
PSTN gateway (or to another internal user (not remote user using sipxrelay on
sipxecs), and unplug the ethernet cable for sipx and you will see the call
stays up. What might be missed is the nhangup and an accurate CDR record for
the call.

Hope you liked the book. Sounds like you got a lot done!
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Mark Theis