Do you have a SIP trunk between the two systems or a PSTN T1 trunk with 2
gateways?

If this is a SIP trunk, then users on system A cannot use a gateway on
system B and get authorization to make a call. The reason is that users on
system A do not have credentials for system B.  Just calling a user on
system B works because that does not require credentials.  However, an
outbound call does.  The way around this would be to use a TLS connection
between the two systems and set peer permissions accordingly. The TLS setup
is described here: http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/xecsuserV4r2/Using+TLS

If you use PSTN to connect the two then this should work as well.

--martin