I use openvpn on pfsense, works fine.

Problem is you need an openvpn client too.

With an "appliance" you would need IPSEC so it auto connects or s
"site-to-site" or automated connection to the HOST from the USER.

What you dont want id the user to have to login to a router and initiate the
connection. If they are using a software based phone that's not an issue.

I always had high hopes for the snom openvpn client, but in the short window
where I needed one they could not do 2 factor authentication so I never
tried. It's also a SNOM, which has a list of issues its own.

http://support.myitdepartment.net