Thanks Tony, see my remarks/questions inline:

Tony Graziano <tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net> wrote on 11-02-2011 14:51:53:

> I would enjoy seeing a vpn option on the polycom. I like the concept of
the
> vpn client in the phone.
Yep, VPN on Polycom would be really nice, maybe, one day....

> I had tried one (snom) but they don't support 2 factor authentication on
the
> openvpn login aspect, which is a requirement we had. I also (as always)
> found snom support slow and uninformed, they still label the openvpn
client
> as "experimental". So that makes me wonder about support on the vpn
side,
> plus I think you have to configure the vpn manually on each device.
Single factor authentication would be good enough for us, and should be
supported by the SNOM phones.
My preference would be to use VPN because it keeps the SipX setup
simpler/lighter.
But I would really like to hear some positive news before we take the
dive.
Also a drawback is that a call between 2 remote workers will flow over the
central OpenVPN box, creating a longer path
with more delay.

> If using sipxrelay, the approach I might take is to use several systems
> balance it (via dns) if possible.
Multiple servers is a good way to spread the load for SipxRelay indeed,
but I
understand you are not using multiple servers at the moment....
What would be the max number of remote workers per server?

> With that many systems, and the remote worker nat traversal in sipxrelay
> being what it is, I might opt for an external sbc so I don't have to
make
> adjustments to end users firewalls, that's a bit much in quantities.
Although I never used it I was under the impression that remote worker
support was working OK.
I understand you are advising not to use it for a larger number of users?
I don't fully see how the external SBC fits in, I understand from
http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/sipXecs/OpenSBC+Setup+Guide
that you can register to SipX through OpenSBC, but they need to be on the
same box,
or can they be split, and can a different SBC be used as well?
What would size to 1000+ users?

Regards, Paul