I would for sure keep the delay active, so after 3 failed attempts there
is always a waiting period before you can try again (preferably doubling
with each attempt, so 1 minute => 2 minutes => 4 minutes etc).

I think most users don't use the GUI that often, it would be nice if the
user was called by the system to inform them.
If the email field is filled you could send an e-mail to the affected user
(cc superadmin???).

Paul