(Maybe more a SIP question then a SipX question)

I am trying to get my Tandberg Cisco C40 codec under control.
Every second call it makes fails.
Wireshark showed me that with every second call the C40 makes it sends the
authentication nonces in the first INVITE (so without being challenged by
the proxy).
SipX still replies with a "407 Proxy authentication required" (and new
nonce),
the C40 still "ACK's" the 407 but doesn't like it and stops communicating.

Is the behavior of SipX right, I mean sending the 407 as a reply on an
INVITE with authentication in it?
As far as I know and can find in RFC's the client always has to send a
"normal" INVITE first, then gets a "407 Proxy authentication required"
and then it sends an INVITE with the nonces.
If this is indeed the case then the C40 is misbehaving.

Paul