On 08/02/2011 10:40 AM, Matt White wrote:
>>>sounds like time to resurrect:?http://track.sipfoundry.org/browse/XX-9067
>>>

> It should be noted that we run our sipx builds on version 8.3.9 which is
> the currently supported version on SLES11.
>
> We didnt have to do anything special to use a later version of pgsql
> with sipx.
>
> So I imagine someone should be able to upgrade to at least to current
> 8.x builds of pgsql without much issue.

CentOS 5.6 actually ships with postgres 8.4, and based on admittedly
limited testing, sipxecs seems to work fine on 8.4 for me (I am running
sipxecs 4.2.1 still).

However the process to upgrade from postgres 8.1 to postgres 8.4 on
CentOS 5.6 is manual and ugly.

I did something like the following -- no warranties, so please test
carefully before trying this at home ;-)

(Some of this will wrap poorly. This is not an optimized or tested
process by any means.)
------------
# become root
su -

# become postgres
su - postgres

# change working directory to postgres home dir
cd /var/lib/pgsql/

# backup the entire postgresql cluster
pg_dumpall > pg-2011.08.02.dmp

# become root
exit

# install the postgres 84 libraries (these have no conflict)
yum install postgresql84-libs

# download the postgresql 8.4 rpms for client
wget
http://mirror.rocketinternet.net/centos/5.6/updates/x86_64/RPMS/postgresql84-8.4.7-1.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm

# download the postgresql 8.4 rpms for server
wget
http://mirror.rocketinternet.net/centos/5.6/updates/x86_64/RPMS/postgresql84-server-8.4.7-1.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm

# stop postgresql 8.1 service
/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

# become postgres
su - postgres

# change working directory to postgres home dir
cd /var/lib/pgsql/

# save copy of entire 8.1 data directory in case we have
# to abort at some point
mv data data.8.1

# become root
exit

# manually remove the postgres 8.1 client and server
rpm -e --nodeps postgres postgres-server
rpm -e --nodeps postgresql postgresql-server

# manually install the postgres 8.4 client and server
rpm -ivh postgresql84-server-8.4.7-1.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm \
         postgresql84-8.4.7-1.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm

# become postgres
su - postgres

# initialize the new postgres 8.4 cluster
initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

# become root
exit

# start the postgres 8.4 service
/etc/init.d/postgresql start

# check that it started OK (by listing default databases)
psql -U postgres -l

# become postgres
su - postgres

# change working directory to postgres home dir
cd /var/lib/pgsql/

# reload the cluster from the backup done earlier
psql postgres < pg-2011.08.02.dmp > pg-2011.08.02.dmp.out 2>&1

# check for ERROR in the output (I got one "expected" ERROR:
# ERROR:  role "postgres" already exists)
vi pg-2011.08.02.dmp.out

# edit postgresql.conf to your liking (defaults are extremely
# conservative, but probably do not matter much unless
# database performance affects sipxecs)
vi /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

# become root
exit

# restart to ensure your postgresql.conf changes take effect
# (depending on what you changed, may not be needed)
/etc/init.d/postgresql restart

# restart sipxecs
/etc/init.d/sipxecs restart

Hope this helps.