I think what he is trying to do is use SIP to/from a country which has
blocked SIP in general. You can do this with most any platform as long as
you can establish an encryted tunnel or use a proprietary encryption method
(like CBCOM) which is vendor specific. You will be best suited to
establishing an encryption method OUTSIDE of you sip platform, whether is
be in a VPN with firewalls at both end or through the use of a SBC with an
encryption method like CBCOM at both ends. CBCOM is Grandstream UA's only.

So once you do that, you sip platform is unaware and can send messages
to/from endpoints. What you need to undertsand is whether or not your
endpoints are in remote branch offices or if they are in remote locations
without an office at which point you have to decide how to deploy and
whether the VPN is hardware or software based. OpenVPN would be a
relatively easy deployment for something like this. So would IPSEC. IPSEC
is better aimed at site-to-site deployments, while OpenVPN is much better
suited to the mobile (laptop) user.

Only you can answer the question "Can I establish encrypted tunnels between
my locations?". If SIP is blocked, you might find other traffic is not
allowed or blocked either. Traffic can be blocked by PORT or by actually
sniffing the headers from a ISP node and determining and classifying "what
that traffic is". We have routers that do the same thing. The inspect the
HTTP traffic and tell us: Netflix website, Netflix Video streaming, Google,
CNN, etc.and categorize it. All of it is the same destination ports of
80/443 but it is able to discern the difference between browsing the
Netflix site and the actual streaming of a video. It can also determine SIP
Voice and Video. There is nothing to say once you establish a VPN tunnel
and change the default port that the agency regulating your Internet
connection at the other end won't put a Deep Packet Inspection probe out
and determine that what you have is an ISPEC or other VPN, then decide to
block it or rate limit it (they still wont really be able to see what's
inside of it). Some countries (Afric in particular) jail ISP's who offer
VOIP and do a run around from the state owned telecom agency.

This is really a discussion of how to deploy an encrypted network. We run
IPSEC tunnels between offices now and run Polycom phones at each branch.
All of our calls inside are encrypted because they are inside the tunnel.I
don't see how this really has anything to do with SIP in general, other
than asking the question "Can I hide my SIP traffic." The answer is, "If
you can establish an encrypted tunnel, you can hide "whatever" you want
inside it.

I think the question you have has been answered to the degree it can be
answered on here. You have to understand how to establish a secure network
in a way that suits your requirements. Then you can deploy whatever you
want.

Good luck.

Helpdesk Customers: http://myhelp.myitdepartment.net
Blog: http://blog.myitdepartment.net