On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Keith Laidlaw <laidlaw1...@rogers.com> wrote:
> So, 4.6 will have a great rate limiter but temporarily add limiting by
> pfsense or Robert’s iptable rule method.  What does fail2ban add to this?

Creating it's own blacklists automatically of course.

> Also, does the DoS attack crash the two services or is it a design decision
> to shut them down when an attack is detected?  If the first, has the crash
> been fixed for 4.6 or does 4.6 only address prevention (by the limiter).

Neither, it simply overwhelms your system based on the available
resources if the attack is intense enough and your resources are scant
enough.

I have several blog entries on pfsense at blog.myitdepartment.net

The rate limiter is a simple to field config in the firewall in rules
on the port. You should install one to see it.

CountryBlock is now called pfBlocker. You simply click to install it
and choose which countries to block. It's very self explanatory.

> Keith

Helpdesk Customers: http://myhelp.myitdepartment.net
Blog: http://blog.myitdepartment.net

Linked-In Profile: