Could Problem number two be caused by incorrect Refresher, or timer
settings?  If so, what should they be?

On the gateway:

*Session Expiration: * (in seconds. default 180 seconds) *
Min-SE: *   (in seconds. default and minimum 90 seconds) *
Caller Request Timer: *   Yes     No (Request for timer when making
outbound calls)
*Callee Request Timer: *   Yes     No (When caller supports timer but did
not request one) *
Force Timer: *   Yes     No (Use timer even when remote party does not
support)
*UAC Specify Refresher: *   UAC   UAS     Omit (Recommended) *
UAS Specify Refresher: *   UAC   UAS (When UAC did not specify refresher
tag)

-Bryan Anderson