On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Tony Graziano
<tgrazi...@myitdepartment.net> wrote:
> I would think the script would need to ru. Against the other HA member so
> that it could determine that "state". I would think pinging a mail server or
> something else could give off improper results.
>
> Shouldn't there be a way to poll the state of the other HA member to get
> accurate results?

By definition, this state only occurs when secondary cannot poll the
other HA member.  If the mongo service alone goes down on primary, and
arbiter on primary is ok, secondary will take over.  This is only when
primary is completely AWOL  *or* secondary lost it's link to primary.

Thing to remember here is mongo servers/arbiters already continuously
check the state of each other.  There's no need to reinvent that, this
is purely about getting a false positive for network partition issue
v.s. machine is dead.  In the end, if you do not involve a third party
on the network, then the best you can come up with is an acceptable
heuristic.