On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:18 , Tony Graziano wrote:

> Oh ye of little faith.
>
> http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/10165-problem-with-ntpd-(leap-second-day-bug)
>
> Re: problem with ntpd (leap second day bug)
> Originally Posted by hamed
> There seems be to a bug with ntpd service because of the leap second day.
> http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/anyone-else-experiencing-high-rates-of-linux-server-crashes-during-a-leap-second
>
> One of my nodes is affected by this bug. The above link suggested that
> we stop ntpd service for now.
> Does stopping ntpd service cause any issues for proxmox?
>
> Thanks
> No problems here but reports have stated that RHEL6 have had some
> issues regarding the leap second. Those reports also state that the
> following command sequence should solve the problem:
> date ; sudo date -s "date -u" ; date

This may indeed be an issue between the VM host and the VM.  I got to thinking
about NTP architecture in a VM environment last night - wondering why run NTP
on each individual VM when the host is providing the 'hardware clock' the VMs
use.

>From http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/986-NTP-and-proxmox (by one of the
>Proxmox team):

you do not need a ntp server in a container (and its not possible) - time comes
from the host.

The 'not possible' part concerns me a bit so I'm going to ask for more info.