De : LAHAYE Olivier
Date d'envoi : jeudi 14 mars 2013 19:12
À : sisuite-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Objet : [PROVENANCE INTERNET] [Sisuite-devel] systemimager build fixed with
latest kernel +latest udev.

Dear all,

I've finaly managed to build latest udev using a recent kernel.

The trick I used is not beautifull, but I saw no other solution.

The situation before:
The build system did build the components for the initrd image using system
installed includes.
Thus, when building udev for exmaple, it was compiled with the running kernel
headers instead of the built kernel headers and it was linked with system
installed libs, not with built libraries like blkid and such.

The solution I used is the following:
when preparing the initrd build dir, I copy the running system includes in it
(to have a base).
Then I build the kernel and install the kernel headers on top of includes I've
copied from the system. This simulates the fact I installed the kernel on the
running system.
Then for each components, I use a CFLAGS and LDFLAG that points to the build
dir to use as much as possible the built stuffs, and I make install (instead of
make install-exec) in to the build_dir. This also installs the newer includes
and the newer libs that will be used by subsequents build.
In the end, before building the initrd, I remove unnecessary files like
/usr/include, /usr/share, /share, /lib/*.la and so.

This is not perfect, but far better than previous situation when udev was build
whith 2.6.34.1 kernel headers and ran under kernel 3.7.5 which memory
structures that had slightly changed.

The current issue is that util-linux needs udev and that udev needs util-linux.
(chicken and egg problem). For the moment, util-linux is built before udev so
udev can use the latest libblkid that match the kernel.

Hopefully, this will work. No kernel panic when udevd starts.

I've built successfully the fedora rpms and I'm currently building the
CentOS-6.3 ones.

They'll be available here:

http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/OSCAR/unstable/

I'll test tomorrow...