Thus spake Sean Dague ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:44:15PM -0600, Brian Elliott Finley wrote:
> > > Ultimately, putting everything in the SIS database seems best.
> > >
> > > I'd prefer adding this data in the autoinstallscript.conf file vs. a
> > > post-install script - we'd then be able to do it all in one call to SC,
> > > and without teaching users any new commands/hooks.
> >
> > The only problem with that is that each machine needs a different entry,
> > which would require a different autoinstallscript.conf file for each
> > machine.  Perhaps we could:
> > - include code in the autoinstall scripts that checks for the existence
> >   of a file such as above "./scripts/interfaces-by-host" (or similar)
> > - if the file exists, use it to configure network interfaces
> > - if it doesn't exist, do one of the current methods of DHCP, STATIC,
> >   REPLICANT
>
> Another solution to this problem is to lean on the SIS DB more, and make
> autoinstall scripts "per client" instead of "per image".
> mkautoinstallscript would then generate a script specific to the client.

I think I like this idea.  Anybody else have comments?

> > Now that I mention that, perhaps it makes more sense to have another
> > --ip-assignment METHOD, where METHOD is TABLE or DB.
> >
> > TABLE would use a file such as above that lived in the scripts
> > directory.  The benefit of this is it's text-editable.
> >
> > DB would use the SIS db.  Benefit of this is canonical data.
> >
> > My only hesitation to using the DB for everything (in this case) is that
> > it's very handy to be able to simply edit a text file.  But, perhaps we
> > could have a $tool that would:
> > - suck all the assignment entries out of the database, and pop them into
> >   $EDITOR.
> > - user can view and edit to his hearts content
> > - when $EDITOR is closed, if there are changes, the $tool would confirm
> >   with user, then update DB to reflect changes made to the file.
>
> Vi is not a user interface, and is very error prone for scripting.  Doing
> any mass change of this data is better scripted through a commandline
> tool that will reject bad data with a reason to the user.

This is actually what I'm proposing -- just that the data could be
prepared using $EDITOR instead of only with command line tools.  In a
number of cases, including many DNS management systems I've worked with
(internal applications to deal with many zones and hosts, that is) I've
found it really useful to be able to use my favorite editor to make mass
changes, then to have my changes parsed and accepted or rejected,
allowing me to edit again.  Oh yeah, "crontab -e" is another example.

> Otherwise you end
> up with a lot more questions on the mailing list which come from subtle
> formating bugs.

We definitely want to avoid this.

So, in order to do the $EDITOR bit above, we certainly need to have the
command line tools (or at least their libraries) in place first.  So
I think it's reasonable to make the $EDITOR bit a secondary goal, and
perhaps we'll decide it's not even necessary depending on how the
command line tools come out.